Thursday 25 February 2016

What Should I Blog About?

I've been thinking about what topics I should blog about. I recently read The Sense of Style by Steven Pinker, and one if his pieces of writing advice was to know one's audience. There are plenty of things I personally want to write about. Of course, most of the things I want to write about most are longer research projects. I have plenty of time and urge to write shorter or lighter pieces in between more major essays such as "Major Types of Global Risks". So, I'm open to taking feedback on things I should write about in my spare time, as my readers would find them useful. My readers are, at the moment, mostly just a large group of my friends. Feel free to comment and provide feedback on this post here, or on any other site you encounter it. If there is something in particular you'd like to see me write about, let me know. Things in particular I was thinking of writing about:

1. A Guide to Making Memes

Yeah, this one is a completely serious suggestion. I mean, there isn't much serious about making Internet memes. But I've become somewhat notorious for making memes, and I'm surprised by this. I'm surprised because while others are impressed with my meme output, from the inside, it feels rather easy. I think becoming good at making memes is easier than lots of people think, and I could write some pointers for how to get started.

2. "How to Make Reddit Work For You"

While on the topic of wasting time on the Internet: Reddit. I've noticed over the last few years there are a lot of people who think of Reddit distastefully, because they've had bad experiences on there, or they've heard so many bad things about it. Some of these reasons are because there is a pernicious culture on Reddit, of flame wars propagated by a dank hive of neckbeards, and nary any subreddit, no matter how isolated can avoid it. Or something like that. I don't know why people really avoid Reddit, and I don't much care. However, it's a great platform that gets a bad rap for ideas associated with it.

I've optimized my use of Reddit. Whenever I visit Reddit, I only have good experiences. It's all about subreddit subscription management. Of course, plenty of users do this. I want to write a simple guide for how one can render Reddit not only benign instead of pernicious, not just boring instead of aggravating, but actually useful and interesting and exciting and sometimes amazing.  Essentially, I've figured out how to make Reddit into my virtual beautiful bubble, an enclave on the Internet which doesn't suck, and I want to show others how to do so for themselves.

3. Rationality and Effective Altruism Explainers

One thing I find quite enjoyable, and I am willing to spend my time doing, is to provide explainers on all sorts of topics in the rationality and effective altruism communities. Now, I'm not just talking about thought experiments, or heuristics and biases, one can look up on Google or Wikipedia to find out how they work. All subcultures, rationality and effective altruism included, gradually developed their own quirks. Sometimes there are weird quirks and cultural trends, idiosyncratic pieces of history, which can only be gleaned through procedural knowledge and a wide variety of sources. A confusion about these cannot always be solved by googling. Sometimes these questions can only be answered, or at least answered simply and clearly, based on experience. I've been in each of these communities for several years, so I think I usually have the experience to satisfactorily answer these questions. If I don't, I'll at least know someone who does, so I can forward the question along to them. Also, I have a decent memory, better than most, and a willingness to explain things in great detail. For example, look how long this blog post, just about other blog posts I might write, is. That's lots of details. I'm a thorough guy.

So, feel free to ask me questions about anything related to rationality or effective altruism, or to explain my weird eclectic opinions on any specific subject therein.

No comments:

Post a Comment